GBodyCentral.com  
Old 06-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Gutless cutlass

Default Monte dash in 79 cutlass?

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone ever swapped a g body monte dash into a 79 cutlass? I cant really stand the cutlass and have always liked the monte. I was just wondering how hard it would be and how much fabrication it would require. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:50 PM
El Camino

Should bolt right in. The only thing is you'll have to figure out the wiring or swap the wire harness. I put a 80 grand prix dash in my 84 elky. Swapped right in but I spliced the old wiring in with the new.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Gutless cutlass

Great to hear. I was thinking I would have to fab up some brackets and maybe do some trimming. Glad its only a little wiring. Thank you for the info.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:07 PM

Yep the dash' s swap between the g body cars!
Old 06-17-2012, 06:59 AM
FNG

I put an '88 CSB dash into my '79 Elky because I couldn't stand either the original sweep speedo nor the later Chebby gauge cluster design. Although it fit and bolted in, there's evidently some squeezing of the right side against the cabin that initially kept the glove box door from closing right... had to slam it shut before it'd latch. But after a couple years, it apparently "squeezed in" and the door now closes normally. Another reason I used the CSB dash is it's far more common to find the Cutlass gauge cluster with tach than it is to find the Chebby gage cluster with tach.

I kept the whole wiring harness because I wanted the later chime module instead of the raucous squaker belt reminder, and also the cruise control and Twilight Sentinel (although I never finished installing either of those). Because GM used 1/4" terminals on the pre-83 fuse boxes and the '88 fuse box used smaller 3/16" terminals, I had to swap terminals (I didn't want to redo the engine harness, those are usually covered with oil or grease and messy to deal with... besides, I didn't have the engine compartment harnesses from the '88 CSB). Bought a bunch of male and female terminals directly from Delphi (I doubt they're available now) and soldered them on the wires after cutting off the old ones. I did remove all the ECM wiring since it wasn't needed in my '79. Come to think of it, that may be why I never installed the cruise control (I would have had to install a switch on the clutch pedal to disengage the CC when clutch was disengaged, too).
Yea, though I am forced to crawl through valleys of SUVs and riceburners, I fear no evil, for torque and positraction art mine. Mine eight rods, eight pistons and tripower, they comfort me. For therein lies mine power, and glory, and salvation, forever.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:38 AM
FNG

Almost forgot to mention... The vent handle panel was different between the '88 Cutlass dash and '79 Elky handle panel, and the '79 panel doesn't bolt into the '88 dash. If you get a dash from another car, be sure to get that panel, too; I think you can swap the cables from one to the other but would have to look at mine to be sure.
Yea, though I am forced to crawl through valleys of SUVs and riceburners, I fear no evil, for torque and positraction art mine. Mine eight rods, eight pistons and tripower, they comfort me. For therein lies mine power, and glory, and salvation, forever.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Gutless cutlass

Wow thanks for the info. Alot to think about when I go to the junk yard to pick one out.