GBodyCentral.com  
Old 11-02-2016, 05:36 PM
FNG

Default Egr/Ecm

Hey gang, I'm puzzled about egr on my 84 El camino ccc 305, when I bought the car egr was removed and a block off plate installed, solenoid removed with wires capped all this from previous owner, It never threw a code for egr in 3 years, Ecm always worked fine up until a week ago when I'm sure it's fried... Tried chasing electical gremlins couldn't find any, thats with extensive troubleshooting, I mean it is over 30 plus yrs. old, so either 1984 ecm 1226455 doesn't recognize egr function or something was wrong in the ecm circuit for egr, I'm concerned when I replace the ecm with remanufactured one I will throw codes for the missing egr valve, I can't find a egr solenoid or connector to save my life, I can find the valve all day long. I would love to do away with computer emissions stuff, Kansas doesn't test for emissions, so I'd be good there, it's just that I just got cc Quadrajet back from Mountain man about a month ago.
I've even heard I could put a 87 ecm in with ZZ4 chip that deletes egr, but I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have the knock sensor/ESC, which could create another problem for me, not even sure where to get the chip. Sorry about being so long winded, just need some expertise. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2016, 05:43 PM
Just a ghost in the machine

The old computer could have been reprogrammed so it did not look for the egr. Or (and I don't know about this for sure) the P/O may have put a resistor etc in the wiring so that the ECM thinks it is still there.

You might check out any pick-a-parts in your area. I'm sure you could find an 84 GBody in one of them or other years that would work. GM did not make a lot of changes year to year so an 82-87 may have the correct parts.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:49 PM
FNG

Resister, no resister at the end of the wires that would have gone into connector , Poltergeist how does this work, maybe that's an option.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:56 PM

You would have to find out what can replace the EGR so that the ECM thinks it is there and functioning. I have no idea what it would take, I know that is might be one way of doing it. It could be a resistor or capacitor or a combination. Or maybe it can't be done. Since I have never had a need to do it I've never investigated or tried to do it.

It's also completely possible that the ECM does not check to see if the EGR is there or not. Those ECMs are very basic so it may be that you don't need to do anything except get an operational ECM and install it and go on your merry way.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:07 PM
FNG

Thanks for the help, I hope your right, even if it threw a code, I wonder if it will go into limp mode.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:23 PM

My best guess would be that it might pull some timing but not really kill power but 5 or 10hp.