GBodyCentral.com  
Old 10-23-2013, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Default reasonably priced car support project

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/....php?f=27&t=26

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/...p=11972#p11972

as many of you guys know if you read these threads Ive used (4) 12 ton jack stands and a mechanics creeper for decades, and continue to use them at times even though I own a car lift, but when I suggested to a member that he buy 4 he found the current cost plus shipping exceeded $200 so he asked about cheaper options.
well home depot sells 2x4 boards 8 ft long for about $3 each and will cut them for a nominal charge or at times for free
If you don,t want to spend big bucks on 4 large sturdy jack stands.. like I bought for my shop,you can make supports like in this picture below, just be sure your floor jack can lift the car to the height you build, as I had a friend recently build a set of 4 supports thats about 4" taller than he can lift his truck
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-...nds-34924.html

buy 8-10 8 foot long 2"x4" boards cut into 15 7/8" lengths and some good wood glue, and 4 16" square pieces of 3/4" plywood that are used to make sure each support stays square, plywood square placed mid stack, with 3 2x4s in each layer of the stack except the top where you use only the outer two, to prevent the tire from rolling off the stack,this will result in a support collum about 14" tall under each tire,
be sure, you use good water proof wood glue, and allow it to set up over nite, before using the support stacks, and painting at a minimum, the bottom surface so it won,t absorb moisture is a good idea and a few dozen 3" wood screws

this will give you 24 sections for each support for less than $40

I generally keep about a dozen 16" square pieces of 3/4" plywood I can use to stack under my jack stands on asphalt drive ways, when I visit a friends house because jack stands don,t play well with asphalt drive ways in florida heat,(you get about 15 out of a sheet of plywood and home depot will frequently cut a sheet into squares cheaply or for free) these can be used to shove under the 2x4 support stands to vary the height on un-even or inclined ground

Last edited by grumpyvette; 10-23-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Hot Rodder

Cool!

Doug
Old 12-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

btw keep your eyes out for used floor jacks at yard sales, and if a friends floor jack fails it might only require minimal maintenance to repair,this is were having a bit of curiosity and mechanical skill helps , one of my friends has a sears jack that he used for 20 years, it eventually started having a problem where it would slowly loose height if not regularly pumped up so he donated it to me and bought a new floor jack, it took me about 45 minutes to figure out how to disassemble and clean it , and replace a couple worn o-rings but for 45-60 minutes work and less than 80 cents in o-ring's, and $7 in hydraulic jack oil, I had a spare functional floor jack.

BTW one of the products I think is a real bargain, at HF is the 12 ton jack stands when they go on sale , they are sturdy, and hold a corvette at the right height to do clutch , or brake jobs or near any job you can use a mechanics creeper on on a level concrete floor , but be aware that some floor jacks don,t lift the car high enough to use these as the minimum heights about 22", but they are FAR better than the typical 3 and 6 ton jack stands I see guys use.
btw if your forced to work on an asphalt drive way buy or cut four 16" x 16" squares of 3/4" thick plywood to put under the 4 jack stand bases you have supporting the cars frame, this insures they won,t sink into the soft asphalt on a hot day
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34924

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/...it=jack+stands

These super heavy duty jack stands will hold most cars and trucks safely at near 2 feet off the ground. Perfect for repair work or storage.

Last edited by grumpyvette; 12-27-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:14 PM

I had a friend get killed when a vw bug fell on him. He wasn't using Jack stands and I never forgot it! It's a good safety practice.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Major Motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte ss496 View Post
I had a friend get killed when a vw bug fell on him. He wasn't using Jack stands and I never forgot it! It's a good safety practice.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Hot Rodder

I plan to make some of these after my malibu is painted and not needing to be rolled around anymore. I have plenty of jack stands here to support 3 or 4 cars, but these still just seem awesome!