GBodyCentral.com  
Old 06-12-2015, 08:59 AM
FNG

Default LS Swap Fuel system questions

Hello, this is my first time posting here and hoping i can get some help. Im building my sons first car 79 Malibu and doing a LS swap on it. It is a stock 5.3 truck motor and a 4l60e trans. My question is: can I run the stock fuel line (feed) from the filter to the engine? or do i need to replace that with a larger diameter? Also for a stock build, Is a 255lph pump necessary or can i run the 180lph. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:03 PM
Professional Shadetree

I can't help you with your questions on the swap. But, I wish I had this as my first car!!!!!!!!!!!!. Lucky kid!
Old 06-12-2015, 06:02 PM
Just a ghost in the machine

The fuel line for the feed is fine, but you are going to need a return line. Unless you get a Corvette pressure regulator and put it back at the tank like the Vettes have them. A stock LS1 takes about 190 lph so with a 5.3 180 should be OK.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:28 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltergeist View Post
The fuel line for the feed is fine, but you are going to need a return line. Unless you get a Corvette pressure regulator and put it back at the tank like the Vettes have them. A stock LS1 takes about 190 lph so with a 5.3 180 should be OK.

I agree, on my swap I used the 255lph but the 180lph should be fine. You will need to convert to plastic efi hose somewhere at the end of you're factory line to connect to the fuel rail. I ran the plastic line from the tank to the engine on mine because these engines come factory with 3/8 line. It's super easy to run the plastic line, you just need to make sure it's secure and away from the exhaust. You should be running an efi tank with baffles also. My setup is a stock 4.8l
Old 06-13-2015, 03:31 AM
Gear Head

Default LS Swap Fuel system questions

I forgot, if you keep the truck intake, you will have to run a dedicated return line from front to back.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:10 AM
FNG

For the GM plastic fuel line, you can easily remove it from the rwd Impala's in the pick n pulls these days.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:42 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilboo View Post
I can't help you with your questions on the swap. But, I wish I had this as my first car!!!!!!!!!!!!. Lucky kid!
Yes he is definitely a lucky kid....I bought the car for me to run a BBC. After I started the build he asked if that could be his first car.....I said not with a 500 hp BBC!!! Anyhoo, I got bamboozled and figured the ls motor would have good fuel economy and some fun power. I told him that the first ticket or accident he gets into , I'd take it back and buy him a $300 Gremlin Craig's list special...bahaha!!!
Old 06-22-2015, 02:45 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Bonneville View Post
I agree, on my swap I used the 255lph but the 180lph should be fine. You will need to convert to plastic efi hose somewhere at the end of you're factory line to connect to the fuel rail. I ran the plastic line from the tank to the engine on mine because these engines come factory with 3/8 line. It's super easy to run the plastic line, you just need to make sure it's secure and away from the exhaust. You should be running an efi tank with baffles also. My setup is a stock 4.8l
Thanks for the responses. Yes I have a Grand National tank and sending unit that has charred wiring so I just thought I'd replace the whole thing. I plan on running the corvette filter and the truck intake I have is a 2005 so it only has the feed line running to it.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:05 PM
FNG

Did the stock drive shaft work for you no it's off topic