GBodyCentral.com  
Old 06-01-2015, 06:29 PM
FNG

Default U-Joint Issue! Anyone??

Hello everyone! I am new to the site so thank you for welcoming me! Just put together my first g-body build (still restoring my f body).. anyways, I will update my sig when I get a chance, just need to get this bug worked out so I can drive my car!

Recently installed a new drivetrain into my 82 cutlass... started with a v6, went to a 350/th350, then 454/700r4, now I installed a mild 350/th350.. I am running the stock drive shaft and stock 7.5" rear end. Here is my issue..

I installed a brand new Moog 534G u joint in the rear (drive shaft to rear end yoke) and all was fine.. There is no tabs or grooves to align the ujoint to the centre so I did the best I could. This u joint used inside clips, original that I removed was plastic injected molds. After a short test drive my drive shaft literally dropped out. It did not break, however the caps came off the yoke side and it just came out... Yoke cap straps or saddles are still tight and in place, no broken bolts.

At first I figured maybe someone had swapped out the rear end before I owned the car and I did not know, so I may need a conversion ujoint. However upon inspection it is definitely a 7.5. Could someone have swapped the yoke? I thought it would be a regular 3R u joint as it is original drive shaft and original rear end, however after the incident I measured everything out. Drive shaft side cap diameter is 1.125 (as expected) however measuring where the caps would sit in the rear yoke, with saddles/straps tight I have 1.15".. that would explain why the caps slipped out and the ujoint popped out. I noticed it a little loose when I was tightening it, but didn't think anything of it because once fully tightened it was seated and not sliding left to right.

What is going on here? Any help is greatly appreciated, I am always learning as I go! Thanks
Old 06-02-2015, 04:01 AM
FNG

Bump!
Old 06-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Professional Shadetree

This is a very tough one for me. I would be patient and maybe look into other web sites. You could aslo call a differential company and see what they say about it.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Just a ghost in the machine

Sounds like the rear yoke might be a 1350 series. 1350 caps are 1.188. You can get u-joints to go from 1310 to 1350.

1350s are normally in trucks.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:47 PM
FNG

I think you are right... I am going to order Strange Engineering U1648 conversion u joint from Jegs, I looked at it already and thought I needed it but had a brain freeze and got confused lol, thanks!
Old 06-03-2015, 09:10 AM
Just a ghost in the machine

I would have answered earlier but it took a little bit for it to dawn on me what might be happening. At first your problem made no sense to me. Then my brain finally turned on.