GBodyCentral.com  
  #31  
Old 01-23-2016, 07:00 PM
GrandMalibu's Avatar
GrandMalibu GrandMalibu is offline
Gear Head
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by O. D. Showtime View Post
It does look to be in pretty nice shape...I'd say yes the prices is very high. I sold a rolling El Camino frame that I had repaired, freshly sandblasted and painted, with a 3:08 posi rear about 4 years ago for $600.

But out there it may very well be supply and demand. If we were alot closer I'm sure I could find you one for a couple hundred dollars.
If you could find one, there are guys going out West from here all the time, I could see,if they could throw it on a partial load.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-23-2016, 07:03 PM
oldtinsmith's Avatar
oldtinsmith oldtinsmith is offline
Hot Rodder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Auburn, Michigan
Posts: 1,972

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMalibu View Post
I just found that D8A is a 267 120 hp with a a Roch E2ME carb, you may have been wrong, but I wouldn't have found the answer without your help.
Yes sir, I looked again and I found the code (there are 61 different codes for the 1981 Malibu/ElCamino!! D8A= 267, 115 horsepower, 8.3 compression ratio, 2BC carb., L39.

A 267 w/4BL carb. has 305 horsepower,,,,that's what through me off!!!! Yeah,,,,,,,yeah,,,,,,,that's the ticket!!! ( ).

Doug
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-23-2016, 07:16 PM
O. D. Showtime's Avatar
O. D. Showtime O. D. Showtime is offline
Hot Rodder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Regina SK Canada
Posts: 1,337

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMalibu View Post
Little? it's a 120 hp beast!
Lol....and painted up they can actually look not too bad...

__________________
82 El Camino SS *Dearly Departed*
79 El Camino SS Royal Knight *Sold*
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-23-2016, 07:18 PM
O. D. Showtime's Avatar
O. D. Showtime O. D. Showtime is offline
Hot Rodder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Regina SK Canada
Posts: 1,337

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMalibu View Post
If you could find one, there are guys going out West from here all the time, I could see,if they could throw it on a partial load.
I can start looking....but with personal commitments right now and the next little while I wouldn't be able to do much of anything hands on until late into February at the earliest.
__________________
82 El Camino SS *Dearly Departed*
79 El Camino SS Royal Knight *Sold*
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-23-2016, 07:35 PM
GrandMalibu's Avatar
GrandMalibu GrandMalibu is offline
Gear Head
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by O. D. Showtime View Post
I can start looking....but with personal commitments right now and the next little while I wouldn't be able to do much of anything hands on until late into February at the earliest.
I'm a big believer in what's meant to happen, happens. Me finding the car, Grand National truck, and joining this forum, all fell into place without effort. If you find one, and I'm meant to get it, then that is what will work.
Thanks again
Will
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-23-2016, 07:37 PM
GrandMalibu's Avatar
GrandMalibu GrandMalibu is offline
Gear Head
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by O. D. Showtime View Post
Lol....and painted up they can actually look not too bad...

That's nice! I really want AC
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-23-2016, 07:49 PM
O. D. Showtime's Avatar
O. D. Showtime O. D. Showtime is offline
Hot Rodder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Regina SK Canada
Posts: 1,337

Default

I'm thinking I may contact the fellow that I gave this car to last spring....



I picked it up and took a bunch of stuff off it and than gave it to a fellow that owns/stores cars on his property. The frame on it was solid from what I remember. It's not mine anymore but he doesn't crush anything this old or older so it should still be there. Like I say I wouldn't be able to do much until end of Feb. into March for sure....but it's an option available.
__________________
82 El Camino SS *Dearly Departed*
79 El Camino SS Royal Knight *Sold*
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-23-2016, 07:54 PM
O. D. Showtime's Avatar
O. D. Showtime O. D. Showtime is offline
Hot Rodder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Regina SK Canada
Posts: 1,337

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMalibu View Post
That's nice! I really want AC
One thing to know is that on a factory AC car...every part is different from a non AC car. Ducting behind the dash, controls, wiring, even the glove box insert is different. You'd have to pull the dash to change everything out but it's not too hard. Then you have to locate the box, all the lines, compressor, brackets, condenser etc. Alot of stuff but certainly doable. You might be better off to find a donor car?
__________________
82 El Camino SS *Dearly Departed*
79 El Camino SS Royal Knight *Sold*
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-23-2016, 08:29 PM
GrandMalibu's Avatar
GrandMalibu GrandMalibu is offline
Gear Head
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by O. D. Showtime View Post
One thing to know is that on a factory AC car...every part is different from a non AC car. Ducting behind the dash, controls, wiring, even the glove box insert is different. You'd have to pull the dash to change everything out but it's not too hard. Then you have to locate the box, all the lines, compressor, brackets, condenser etc. Alot of stuff but certainly doable. You might be better off to find a donor car?
I might have better luck finding Bigfoot around here
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-23-2016, 08:31 PM
GrandMalibu's Avatar
GrandMalibu GrandMalibu is offline
Gear Head
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by O. D. Showtime View Post
I'm thinking I may contact the fellow that I gave this car to last spring....



I picked it up and took a bunch of stuff off it and than gave it to a fellow that owns/stores cars on his property. The frame on it was solid from what I remember. It's not mine anymore but he doesn't crush anything this old or older so it should still be there. Like I say I wouldn't be able to do much until end of Feb. into March for sure....but it's an option available.
I'm not a Chevy guy, but that is a 4 door, is it the same frame? also I found another one in Halifax, it's to late to call now, but I will try him tomorrow, and let you know how I make out.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-23-2016, 08:34 PM
O. D. Showtime's Avatar
O. D. Showtime O. D. Showtime is offline
Hot Rodder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Regina SK Canada
Posts: 1,337

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMalibu View Post
I might have better luck finding Bigfoot around here
Wow...lol....that is scarce! I have to admit I don't really pay attention to the Gbody stuff that far East.

If you really want/like to swap over to AC I could start gathering/putting the parts together. I shipped a non AC box out to BC once and shipping wasn't too terrible actually. The brackets would probably be the easy stuff. Could do it over time or as our budget allows.
__________________
82 El Camino SS *Dearly Departed*
79 El Camino SS Royal Knight *Sold*
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-23-2016, 08:36 PM
O. D. Showtime's Avatar
O. D. Showtime O. D. Showtime is offline
Hot Rodder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Regina SK Canada
Posts: 1,337

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMalibu View Post
I'm not a Chevy guy, but that is a 4 door, is it the same frame? also I found another one in Halifax, it's to late to call now, but I will try him tomorrow, and let you know how I make out.
Yup...frames are the same...you could also watch for Pontiac LeMans and very likely the Cutlass....although I think there is something about the front of the frames on the 2 door Cutlass/Monte Carlo.
__________________
82 El Camino SS *Dearly Departed*
79 El Camino SS Royal Knight *Sold*
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-23-2016, 09:07 PM
GrandMalibu's Avatar
GrandMalibu GrandMalibu is offline
Gear Head
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by O. D. Showtime View Post
Yup...frames are the same...you could also watch for Pontiac LeMans and very likely the Cutlass....although I think there is something about the front of the frames on the 2 door Cutlass/Monte Carlo.
From what I've researched, the front horns are longer, and you need to shorten the bumper shocks, the frame in Halifax is a Monte. I'm hoping the Grand truck might have some AC stuff, I think he used the stock grand national dash and gauges, I haven't seen the thing yet (another bought sight unseen deal) but for the price, and the low km on the drive train, I couldn't pass it up.
I've seen the 200r's go for over 1500, and a 8.5 rear for close to a grand, The motor must be worth a fair chunk as well, and the rad fuel tank and upgraded suspension pieces he bought.I couldn't have built a motor with that kind of power for close to what I have into the whole package. And the cool factor alone...priceless
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-23-2016, 09:23 PM
O. D. Showtime's Avatar
O. D. Showtime O. D. Showtime is offline
Hot Rodder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Regina SK Canada
Posts: 1,337

Default

Yes I think you did well on the Grand truck...that drive train like you say is worth a fair bit....good pickup.



I just hit up kijiji and found that Monte frame...also found your add looking for parts lol. Like I say let me know if you have trouble locating parts....I've got some nice interior parts here...











I've got a console here...needs a little work which I was going to do over the winter....but sold my last set of seats this past summer...too bad they would have been perfect for your project...



I've got a fair bit of other stuff here...interior and other.
__________________
82 El Camino SS *Dearly Departed*
79 El Camino SS Royal Knight *Sold*

Last edited by O. D. Showtime; 01-23-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-23-2016, 09:34 PM
GrandMalibu's Avatar
GrandMalibu GrandMalibu is offline
Gear Head
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by O. D. Showtime View Post
Yes I think you did well on the Grand truck...that drive train like you say is worth a fair bit....good pickup.



I just hit up kijiji and found that Monte frame...also found your add looking for parts lol. Like I say let me know if you have trouble locating parts....I've got some nice interior parts here...











I've got a console here...needs a little work which I was going to do over the winter....but sold my last set of seats this past summer...too bad they would have been perfect for your project...



I've got a fair bit of other stuff here...interior and other.
Dang! those seats and panels look nice ( thanks for the tease), I'll pm you a list and see what you have, then maybe I can get one of the guys making trips out that way to pick them up when they have room. It's awesome to have a fellow Canuck can get some parts from (to bad your not a little closer)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors