GBodyCentral.com  
Old 01-23-2016, 07:00 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by O. D. Showtime View Post
It does look to be in pretty nice shape...I'd say yes the prices is very high. I sold a rolling El Camino frame that I had repaired, freshly sandblasted and painted, with a 3:08 posi rear about 4 years ago for $600.

But out there it may very well be supply and demand. If we were alot closer I'm sure I could find you one for a couple hundred dollars.
If you could find one, there are guys going out West from here all the time, I could see,if they could throw it on a partial load.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:03 PM
Hot Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMalibu View Post
I just found that D8A is a 267 120 hp with a a Roch E2ME carb, you may have been wrong, but I wouldn't have found the answer without your help.
Yes sir, I looked again and I found the code (there are 61 different codes for the 1981 Malibu/ElCamino!! D8A= 267, 115 horsepower, 8.3 compression ratio, 2BC carb., L39.

A 267 w/4BL carb. has 305 horsepower,,,,that's what through me off!!!! Yeah,,,,,,,yeah,,,,,,,that's the ticket!!! ( ).

Doug
Old 01-23-2016, 07:16 PM
Hot Rodder

Quote:
Little? it's a 120 hp beast!
Lol....and painted up they can actually look not too bad...

Old 01-23-2016, 07:18 PM
Hot Rodder

Quote:
If you could find one, there are guys going out West from here all the time, I could see,if they could throw it on a partial load.
I can start looking....but with personal commitments right now and the next little while I wouldn't be able to do much of anything hands on until late into February at the earliest.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:35 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
I can start looking....but with personal commitments right now and the next little while I wouldn't be able to do much of anything hands on until late into February at the earliest.
I'm a big believer in what's meant to happen, happens. Me finding the car, Grand National truck, and joining this forum, all fell into place without effort. If you find one, and I'm meant to get it, then that is what will work.
Thanks again
Will
Old 01-23-2016, 07:37 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Lol....and painted up they can actually look not too bad...

That's nice! I really want AC
Old 01-23-2016, 07:49 PM
Hot Rodder

I'm thinking I may contact the fellow that I gave this car to last spring....

I picked it up and took a bunch of stuff off it and than gave it to a fellow that owns/stores cars on his property. The frame on it was solid from what I remember. It's not mine anymore but he doesn't crush anything this old or older so it should still be there. Like I say I wouldn't be able to do much until end of Feb. into March for sure....but it's an option available.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:54 PM
Hot Rodder

Quote:
That's nice! I really want AC
One thing to know is that on a factory AC car...every part is different from a non AC car. Ducting behind the dash, controls, wiring, even the glove box insert is different. You'd have to pull the dash to change everything out but it's not too hard. Then you have to locate the box, all the lines, compressor, brackets, condenser etc. Alot of stuff but certainly doable. You might be better off to find a donor car?
Old 01-23-2016, 08:29 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
One thing to know is that on a factory AC car...every part is different from a non AC car. Ducting behind the dash, controls, wiring, even the glove box insert is different. You'd have to pull the dash to change everything out but it's not too hard. Then you have to locate the box, all the lines, compressor, brackets, condenser etc. Alot of stuff but certainly doable. You might be better off to find a donor car?
I might have better luck finding Bigfoot around here
Old 01-23-2016, 08:31 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm thinking I may contact the fellow that I gave this car to last spring....

I picked it up and took a bunch of stuff off it and than gave it to a fellow that owns/stores cars on his property. The frame on it was solid from what I remember. It's not mine anymore but he doesn't crush anything this old or older so it should still be there. Like I say I wouldn't be able to do much until end of Feb. into March for sure....but it's an option available.
I'm not a Chevy guy, but that is a 4 door, is it the same frame? also I found another one in Halifax, it's to late to call now, but I will try him tomorrow, and let you know how I make out.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:34 PM
Hot Rodder

Quote:
I might have better luck finding Bigfoot around here
Wow...lol....that is scarce! I have to admit I don't really pay attention to the Gbody stuff that far East.

If you really want/like to swap over to AC I could start gathering/putting the parts together. I shipped a non AC box out to BC once and shipping wasn't too terrible actually. The brackets would probably be the easy stuff. Could do it over time or as our budget allows.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:36 PM
Hot Rodder

Quote:
I'm not a Chevy guy, but that is a 4 door, is it the same frame? also I found another one in Halifax, it's to late to call now, but I will try him tomorrow, and let you know how I make out.
Yup...frames are the same...you could also watch for Pontiac LeMans and very likely the Cutlass....although I think there is something about the front of the frames on the 2 door Cutlass/Monte Carlo.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:07 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Yup...frames are the same...you could also watch for Pontiac LeMans and very likely the Cutlass....although I think there is something about the front of the frames on the 2 door Cutlass/Monte Carlo.
From what I've researched, the front horns are longer, and you need to shorten the bumper shocks, the frame in Halifax is a Monte. I'm hoping the Grand truck might have some AC stuff, I think he used the stock grand national dash and gauges, I haven't seen the thing yet (another bought sight unseen deal) but for the price, and the low km on the drive train, I couldn't pass it up.
I've seen the 200r's go for over 1500, and a 8.5 rear for close to a grand, The motor must be worth a fair chunk as well, and the rad fuel tank and upgraded suspension pieces he bought.I couldn't have built a motor with that kind of power for close to what I have into the whole package. And the cool factor alone...priceless
Old 01-23-2016, 09:23 PM
Hot Rodder

Yes I think you did well on the Grand truck...that drive train like you say is worth a fair bit....good pickup.

I just hit up kijiji and found that Monte frame...also found your add looking for parts lol. Like I say let me know if you have trouble locating parts....I've got some nice interior parts here...

I've got a console here...needs a little work which I was going to do over the winter....but sold my last set of seats this past summer...too bad they would have been perfect for your project...

I've got a fair bit of other stuff here...interior and other.

Last edited by O. D. Showtime; 01-23-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:34 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Yes I think you did well on the Grand truck...that drive train like you say is worth a fair bit....good pickup.

I just hit up kijiji and found that Monte frame...also found your add looking for parts lol. Like I say let me know if you have trouble locating parts....I've got some nice interior parts here...

I've got a console here...needs a little work which I was going to do over the winter....but sold my last set of seats this past summer...too bad they would have been perfect for your project...

I've got a fair bit of other stuff here...interior and other.
Dang! those seats and panels look nice ( thanks for the tease), I'll pm you a list and see what you have, then maybe I can get one of the guys making trips out that way to pick them up when they have room. It's awesome to have a fellow Canuck can get some parts from (to bad your not a little closer)