GBodyCentral.com  
Old 01-22-2016, 08:31 PM
Gear Head

Default New Canuck, first Chevy build

HI
My name is Will, I live in New Brunswick Canada. I have always been a Ford man, owning thirty plus 79-93 mustangs, from stock GT convertibles, to 11 second street racers. I just moved 1700 KM so I could retire and look after my disabled wife, now it's time for me to have a project again.

After searching for a solid base, at a reasonable price (and wanting to build a completely different car than all my Mustangs) I located a stock, unmolested original 81 Malibu Classic Brougham.Its was a V8 2 barrel automatic, it only has PS,and PB. I traded it sight unseen to a guy 450 km away, for a 2000 Polaris 325 Magnum ATV, that I paid 900$ for.

The previous owner bought it as a parts car, and had never started it, or heard it run, he told me the body was solid, but the drivers rear frame rail was bad.He didn't want to take apart such an original car, so he decided to let it go.I took the risk, made the trade, and we split the 900 km round trip tow. The car arrived on his friends trailer, in the middle of a blizzard, we dropped it in my garage, and he loaded the ATV and left.

I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the car, and how unmolested it was, the vinyl top, battery cables, and rad, seemed to be all that was missing.the interior was complete and clean, the floors were all solid and rust free, and the body had minimal corrosion.It had the stock rally wheels and caps, with good Cooper cobra tires. I couldn't get the trunk to open, so I put that aside for the moment.

I bought a heavy duty aluminum rad from Napa, and some coolant, and after modifying the stock rubber isolation mounts,installed it.The battery that came with it, held a charge, so I used some cables I had lying around, poured gas into the vent tube, and it purred to life, after the first crank.The transmission fluid and oil looked like brand new, it had a new starter, calipers, rotors, flex lines, and hard lines.

I finally got the trunk open, it had the old rad( that had obviously been leaking)and four 15" vintage Ansen aluminum wheels inside, thre was also all the trim for the vinyl top. I was so happy with my luck I was giddy! I took it for a test drive, and it ran beautifully, drove and stopped well. The only issues Ive found is the brake lights don't work, the battery light is on , and it wont charge, and it has an exhaust leak where there appears to be an old heat riser( just below the passenger manifold.

What are my plans? I don't know what engine is in it, but its not powerful enough for my liking, I also hear the rear ends are weak. I found and bought a Grand National chassis, with 11000 km on it from the original owner, his girlfriend rolled it He removed the wrecked body, stretched the frame 16" in the center, and put a 56 Chevy pickup body on it.Now because of health issues, he cannot complete the project.

I paid 2500$ for the complete Frankin truck, and I'm not sure if I'll try and shorten the frame, and put the Malibu body on it. or find another G body frame, and transfer the drive line into it, and drop the body on(then I could put The Malibu drive line into the truck) and sell it to finance more upgrades. I guess I'll be thinking about it for a bit, but I would like to hear anyone's opinions, on what they think I should do.

I will post pictures of my progress as it happens, and I'm happy to be here.

Will
Old 01-22-2016, 08:48 PM
Hot Rodder

Welcome from the Prairies! Sounds like a pretty decent project. Love to see some pics.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:56 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by O. D. Showtime View Post
Welcome from the Prairies! Sounds like a pretty decent project. Love to see some pics.
I haven't picked up the Grand National chassis yet( too much snow) and I need to upload the Malibu to Photbucket, but when I do there will be pictures.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:26 PM
Gear Head

Right off the trailer
Old 01-22-2016, 11:34 PM
Gear Head

Old 01-22-2016, 11:40 PM
Gear Head

Old 01-22-2016, 11:42 PM
Gear Head

Last edited by GrandMalibu; 01-23-2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:01 AM
Gear Head

Can anyone tell me how to figure out what engine this car has?
Old 01-23-2016, 05:53 AM
Hot Rodder

if you crawl on top of the motor and look behind the distributor where the motor and trans match up there should be a series of raised numbers/letters.(you may not see them rite away because dirt/grease etc can build up and come them)another spot is behind the alternator is a machined surface on the block that has numbers also.if the block has been decked those numbers might be gone as they are the same level as the deck height.at one time i had a book on casting number look up but i use this site now since the book has walked away:)http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm

Last edited by melloelky; 01-23-2016 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:22 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloelky View Post
if you crawl on top of the motor and look behind the distributor where the motor and trans match up there should be a series of raised numbers/letters.(you may not see them rite away because dirt/grease etc can build up and come them)another spot is behind the alternator is a machined surface on the block that has numbers also.if the block has been decked those numbers might be gone as they are the same level as the deck height.at one time i had a book on casting number look up but i use this site now since the book has walked away:)http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm
Thanks for the info, if it gets above 5 degrees today, I will find the numbers.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:37 AM
Hot Rodder

Will, nice intro story and a welcome to you from mid-Michigan.

Doug
Old 01-23-2016, 09:25 AM
Hot Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMalibu View Post
Thanks for the info, if it gets above 5 degrees today, I will find the numbers.
man that's cold
Old 01-23-2016, 10:00 AM
Gear Head

the numbers on the front passenger are
K0227D8A
1B1457713

They don't seem to match the numbers on the link, I also tried a Google search and got nothing.Could it be another gm brand engine?
Old 01-23-2016, 10:03 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtinsmith View Post
Will, nice intro story and a welcome to you from mid-Michigan.

Doug
Thanks for the welcome!
Old 01-23-2016, 10:06 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloelky View Post
man that's cold
You are correct sir! 5 minutes of cleaning the numbers, and I had to come inside ( My hands were aching)