GBodyCentral.com  
Old 11-27-2015, 09:01 AM
Just a ghost in the machine

Congrats on receiving it.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:06 AM
Professional Shadetree

Has anyone else used or talked to Sparky with RnD Fabrication about their radiators?
Old 11-30-2015, 06:47 PM
Hot Rodder

no your interaction with them is the first I've heard of them.has it been a good one?
Old 11-30-2015, 07:44 PM
Just a ghost in the machine

Nope no interaction with them myself.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Professional Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloelky View Post
no your interaction with them is the first I've heard of them.has it been a good one?
To be honest about it....... Overall from a consumer experience, No it has not been a good one. His communication is HORRIBLE!!!! HOWEVER, Products are impeccable though. So if you are after a good customer experience don't use them. If you don't care about that... Your looking at a great Radiator and tank. Just look into buying your shroud and fan from Jegs or Summit. WAY cheaper and 1000 times better looks and a less built in China looking fan.

He is very hard to get to respond to the emails and Just shy of impossible to get on the phone. I understand this was not a direct purchase situation as it was a prototype R&R type of deal. But for $800.00 dollars plus the first shipping cost of $100.00 and another $60.00 on top of that for the first shipping back to me. I do not foresee using them again and we have six more builds that all will need custom radiators. The work is good, just plan around a long and expensive turn around. To some this may be a worthwhile deal!

I am not intending to talk trash about the deal, that's not my intention here. I just want to inform you about my personal experiences with this transaction that started on 5/12/2015 and finished on 11/25/2015. Just be clear, as this set up I purchased, as ordered would have been around a grand or so. As I check around and find other builders/suppliers, the prices are competitive and on the website pictures they look as good too. As I am looking at the radiator sitting here in front of me. I am highly impressed with the craftsmanship. The welds are all symmetrical and very appealing. The bends and the overall shape is well fitted and nice, the overflow/expansion tank is as well. These are very nice well built units. The fan shroud.... Not so much. The response he gave me concerning the cheap looking shroud, was that when the LS engine is installed their is a clearance issue. I can't speak of this directly so this response is satisfactory for now.

"OK so why am I writing this reveiw as somewhat negative" you ask? That's a good question. If you look up 78 Malibu and look at radiator packages apples to apples. Summit offers a Griffin radiator kit with everything but the expansion tank for 750 shipped (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gr...-size/5-3l-325 ), Ebay, or Mikes or someone offers the square direct fit aluminum expansion tank for at or just under a hundo. That's the same price maybe a tad cheaper and the name brand with the correct tank all with in a week of ordering. If I had a do over, this is my route of choice.

I lost all wind and did not finish the install last week end. As soon as, i get the parts in and installed I will post the pictures and let you guys make your own decisions. Again, this was just my experiences and do not reflect anything other than that!
Old 12-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Professional Shadetree

Here's an expansion tank I just found. Most likely my next purchase, after a better looking fan shroud. http://www.carid.com/canton-racing-p...pn-80-218.html
Old 12-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Hot Rodder

sorry to hear it wasn't the smoothest road,when you started talking about your whole radiator journey with them, i was gonna ask why you didn't just buy one and be done with it but at the same time i was hoping for the best..that's a slick looking overflow bottle,it'll match your radiator real nice.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:41 AM
Professional Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloelky View Post
sorry to hear it wasn't the smoothest road,when you started talking about your whole radiator journey with them, i was gonna ask why you didn't just buy one and be done with it but at the same time i was hoping for the best..that's a slick looking overflow bottle,it'll match your radiator real nice.
Yup, me too! But I am over it now. Moving on to the install
Old 12-02-2015, 09:08 AM
Gear Head

I do agree that our communication wasn't the best with this order, but it isn't typical and we did have some hardships within the shop that took up much of my time. We are back to normal on communication and have been for a little while. Prototypes like this do take a lot longer, which is something we are trying to work around. Current turn around times on radiators we have already developed are 3-4 weeks, while prototypes are currently around 2-3 months + from start to finish. Also, with regards to apples to apples comparisons, most of the online competitors don't offer conversions for engine swaps in the price, a free steam port and a free trans cooler. I do know that some companies now offer LS conversion varieties, but that is where most of them stop.

I spoke with the customer about the issues we had and the reasons for the delays during this process, and I understand his frustration (I share it, as we strive to keep to our time frames but sometimes outside forces change what we are able to do). The two main issues was our lead fabricator and the guy that makes our prototypes had a heart attack which set us back for about a month and change, and the other issue was core supplier delays (which most shops are currently feeling this as well, as there has been a general shortage of cores at all suppliers). He said he understood and I will say that he was extremely patient, and I'm glad that he likes the product he received. For the fan & shroud kit, we don't use a boxed style as there hasn't been a need (our radiators have a 1/4"-3/8" gap between the mounting face and the core) and also many of our customers have clearance issues and need the thinnest possible profile. Most competitors have to use a boxed style as they put the tanks even with the core (this also makes for smaller fluid tanks on their versions). That means a fan installed on a shroud would make contact with the core, so their only option is to space it out with a boxed shroud. Since ours have wider tanks and a top plate that allows the gap, we don't need a boxed style to clear the core.

We strive for high customer satisfaction with every customers, regardless of price investment, and our online reviews show that we almost always meet that mark. Occasionally, we do fall short of perfect experience, and that usually has to do with some delays in replying to customers which rests totally on my shoulders. Being a small business that is trying to keep overhead low means many times I am not able to answer the phone or emails as quickly as I would like.

While there are other companies out there that sell less expensive radiators, most of them aren't small American-owned businesses that hand make products in the USA using domestically sourced materials, and we also never use epoxy or plastic in our radiators / cores / etc. (most all of our competitors do). We also never charge for engine conversions (ie: placing ports in different locations than stock), and we never charge for built-in trans coolers. If anyone has any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:40 AM
Professional Shadetree

Sparky is good people, I appreciate the reply and the detailed explanation and I know these guys on here will as well. As I stated in my above review. You guys do very good work and the price was not the issue as the basis of my complaint. The issues were with communication and the shroud. I feel you explained them both in detail and to my satisfaction. Thanks and I hope everyone has a Very Merry Christmas!
Old 12-17-2015, 07:07 AM
Gear Head

Thanks, and I hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas as well!
Old 02-15-2016, 07:12 AM
Professional Shadetree

OK so I hate the upper radiator supports for my radiator that I built. I have a plan, but .... we'll see.

So i am also ready to drive this thing finally. Just need to bleed the brakes again and of course the rats nest of dash wires need to be addressed. So i ordered the deutsch connector and a triple gauge pod that will go into a single din in the radio housing. this should look and function WAY better than my current set up.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:19 AM
Professional Shadetree

Redoing the gauges and the associated rats nest of wiring.
I hope they will look better and I KNOW they will function WAY better!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 78 Malibu 10_12_15 026.jpg (110.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg triple gauge pod.jpg (460.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg deutsch connection 121-8186.jpg (10.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-15-2016, 07:29 AM
Hot Rodder

Nice!!!

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2016, 07:43 AM
Professional Shadetree

Thanks. Yeah the pod if of a 2011 so I will need to modify it to fit for mounting and the angle. But it the bones are what I was after.