GBodyCentral.com  
Old 11-15-2010, 07:26 AM
5th Gen

Default Common Procedures

A long time ago in a place far, far away there was a discussion about creating a forum section about Procedures. The idea was to document processes for many of the things commonly asked about. Anything from how to measure lug spacing to how to size wheels/tires for clearance to proper wiring connections. This would not be a discussion/debate section, but only how to.

As I recall, the idea seemed to have merit and over time could reduce newby's from rehashing the same tasks ad nauseum.

The reasons against had to do with the site already being well established. It would take too much work to change the forum plus having someone to research and consolidate the information into a procedure.

So, I toss the notion out here for your thoughts. IF, the idea has merit now may be the time to initiate it. If not, now is also a good time to kill it.

Thoughts?

Take care.

The objective of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the collective insane.

Last edited by Bowtie; 11-15-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a good idea,It could be put in the tech.section

My Garage
Old 11-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Just a ghost in the machine

I can put a section together that I can put threads into that people write that no one would be able to post a reply to. Threads with comments could be started in other areas. The area can be broken out by the different areas: suspension, engine etc etc.

I do 2 books on the G Body that I have been trying to figure out the best way to post the info on here. Not sure if they should be in posts or separate pages. A lot of typing involved so it will take me a while to get it online for each year.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Hot Rodder

! I'm a retired tinsmith(for well over 30 years), and I had apprentices for over 20 year. I've had the same sheet metal questions asked of me thousands of times! One thing I learned from all the questions ask, over all those years was, if I wanted my trade to carry on and grow I will answer each question with pride because they wanted to learn from ME! I guess it's the personal connection I had with my apprentices that they liked and respected.
I really like the idea of a "common" place to look up answers that people have (and no debates that can roil the common answer)!!!!BUT, let's NOT use the "common practice" place as an excuse to brush off people who may be new to the forum, computers, or for that matter cars, because most times the problem they have, is a big problem to them!
This is ONLY MY OPINION! Whatever our site decides will be okay with me, and I will enjoy this site as much as I always have!

Please excuse me, I should have stated "common procedure"!

Doug

Last edited by oldtinsmith; 11-15-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:30 PM

No it would not be to discourage people asking questions. Just a reference area for common things that we do to our cars. And maybe a few uncommon ones. What would wind up in there is what the members here decided to write about.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Hot Rodder

Works for me Rob.

Doug
Old 11-15-2010, 06:14 PM
5th Gen

Default A vision

Confession time. For most of my adult life I've been a trainer and educator. Written many volumes of procedural materials for civilian corporations, motorcycle training, and military orgs. I am very glad this proposal has not been rejected so far.

We are all confident that a vast amount of experience and knowledge will build here. With Poltergeist at the helm it is a given. A question becomes, Do we let that wisdom hide away within thousands of posts or is there a way to assimilate some so it can be easily located and searched?

Done well, such a resource would distinguish this site from most. If you ask yourself what would it take to evolve this site to a higher level, quick access to knowledge would have to be a factor. Don't you think?

I too place a high value on the social interaction. There is room for both and they support each other. Sometimes you feel like bickering with a rookie who wants to modify a 6 cylinder. Sometimes you really want the details on how to do a disc brake upgrade on an 84 G-body without days of debate.

There, I've said my piece and thanks for your tolerance. Usually not so outspoken (lie).

Take care.

The objective of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the collective insane.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Hot Rodder

Bowtie, you can "outspoken" yourself anytime here! I like it when people can have a civil discussion with each other.

Doug
Old 11-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Hot Rodder

This sounds like a great idea!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Gear Head

That sounds like a great ideal and since I'm really new to ALL this I'm sure it will be greatly used by others like myself. Hope I worded that right. I'm tired of all the what-ever you want to call it on another site that seems to be falling apart so I just need to learn how to post pictures and get my car on here in time. Thanks guys Michael
Old 11-15-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballero80 View Post
That sounds like a great ideal and since I'm really new to ALL this I'm sure it will be greatly used by others like myself. Hope I worded that right. I'm tired of all the what-ever you want to call it on another site that seems to be falling apart so I just need to learn how to post pictures and get my car on here in time. Thanks guys Michael
Click the garage link at the top to create a place for pictures.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:32 AM
Hot Rodder

A question oh wise ones. Could "common procedures" contain a section with the color electrical schematics from the GM service manual (s)? Would there be copyright problems? If possible, (I know it would be ALOT of work to start) it would be very helpful to alot of members IMHO.

Doug
Old 11-16-2010, 09:55 AM

I can create it and if GM gets mad take them down. I have them for my 82 Elky but would need to get scans from others for the rest of the cars out there. Unless someone knows of a manual that I can get that has them all.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:05 AM
5th Gen

Exclamation Copyright Infringement

Yes, it is Copyright Infringement. Some mistakenly believe it is okay as long as you don't charge for it. That is not true.

However, there are options:
1. Often, technical information of this type can be found for free on an authorized GM site, then it can be referenced and copied. In other words, if we can show that it is already being given away it is presumed to be in the public domain.

2. You put up what you want and plead the dummies if you get called on it. Many do this with the confidence that a company like GM wouldn't want to sue if they could avoid it. They would notify the site of a violation before taking action. Oh, me so sorry! Done all the time.

3. Someone draws up their own schematic. IMO this is a strong option. This way, a simpler, clearer diagram focusing on the subject at hand can be much more user friendly. Full schematics can be intimidating. Especially to a rookie, or for that matter, any sane person.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:08 AM
5th Gen

Sorry Poltergeist,
I would not have responded had I seen your post first.

Take care.