GBodyCentral.com  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:39 AM
camino in progress

Default gas gauge help

hope this is the right spot for this? anyway as u guys know im eliminating my gauge cluster and putting in manual oil&water temp gauges,ive already ordered those...but my question is since im eliminating the gauge cluster can u help me figure out what gas gauge to buy and how to hook it up to the plug wiring that the cluster plugged into? this is what im looking at on ebay would this work and just wire it into the wires that lead to the cluster plug? or how would i do that? heres the ebay link and thnx for any and all assistance thnx troy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedhut-2-1...d3d335&vxp=mtr

p.s remember im new to this so be nice :)

Last edited by beachbumtroy; 02-11-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-11-2013, 04:47 PM
camino in progress

Default gas gauge help

boy u know im in trouble if i got all these peekers and no help yet
Old 02-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Hot Rodder

gm gauge senders from the years 1966 to 1997 have a reading between 0 -90 ohms.you can use any gauge you want as long as it is ohm compatible.most of your after market gauges are made to fit a very wide range of cars so you won't have a problem finding one that you like that will work.the one you linked shows it will work up to 300ohms,I've never tried to wire an aftermarket gauge to a factory style cluster wiring.I've wired cars where i wired it myself so I'm afraid I'm not much help other than the gauges come with instructions that tell you what terminal goes to which wire(positive,ground,sender,lighting,etc)it's pretty straight forward though.the included instructions give you an excellent idea of whats involved to make it happen.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:38 PM
camino in progress

Default gas gauge help

ok mello can u give me a for instance.....like just say u wired in ur gauge where did u go with the wires? i mean even if the directions are straight forward,im almost positive they wont tell me where the wires go wioll they? like run this red wire back to the red sending unit wire,and the black to ground and so fourth? or do u think they will? and thnx for the other info i wasnt sure about the ohm`s thing ethier,so at least now i know i can get anyone asd long as it does at least 90ohm`s,thnx again for the info and response,so i`ll oder a gauge tonite and see what developes and im sure be back here soon
Old 02-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Hot Rodder

ok I'll start somewhere,when your tank is empty the sender will read 0 ohms.when it is full it will see 90 ohms.that is where you get the 0-90 ohm reading.i dug up my instructions from my auto meter for ya.it shows a picture and a description,it is very straight forward.your on the rite track though,the red is positive,the ground is always black, the white is to power the light in the gauge,that also goes to a power source.as far a sender wire color that is not set in stone.on my project that i wired it was pink. i don't know what color gm used on the factory wiring on your car so i can't tell you what color wire your sender wire will be.but,i believe it is pink,that's the color i found at the back of the car that plugged into my sender.I'm not sure about your specific application but this is just my experience.also in my experience auto meter gauges are always a good bet.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:11 PM
camino in progress

Default gas gauge help

ok mello thnx for all that,i`ll see if i can look up the precise color codes for my sender tomorrow,but dont worry i`ll be back my next question is going to be about 4 bbl carbs so brush up lol thnx alot troy
Old 03-22-2016, 08:58 AM
Professional Shadetree

Did you ever figure this out? I can send detailed pictures if you need