GBodyCentral.com  
Old 04-13-2015, 11:03 AM
Regional Director

Default Rear End #2!

Well you know the saying. .
If you're not breaking,you're not racing!

We blew our second rear end in less than 2 months!
Although the first time was more violent where EVERYTHING inside the rear end was destroyed when I did the G body Shuffle!
It was like a grenade of gears went off and almost shot gears through the differential cover.
This last time wasn't as bad since we were being easy,well so we thought.
Last week I decided to do a few test hits on VP C12 before the debut of The Steel Beast next month.
We turned it down a bit to be easy on the spare rear end and it still was too much!
My girlfriend and I already knew what it was when we heard the dreaded metal clank!
We didn't freak out,but actually laughed because we both knew what was next.
Pulling the rear end again after only 3 weeks.
She's a mechanic so it won't be too much of a pain to put in another one when she helps this time around.
We have a Ford 9 but haven't made the mods for the G body since we don't have enough time.
Check out the damage.
The results of too much dope on the motor!

Quote: When you show yourself to the world and display your talents, you naturally stir all kinds of resentment, envy, and other manifestations of insecurity... you cannot spend your life worrying about the petty feelings of others
Robert Greene
Old 04-13-2015, 12:36 PM
Just a ghost in the machine

Ouch. 7.5s can take a lot but they do have their limits. You seem to finding them quite often.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Regional Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltergeist View Post
Ouch. 7.5s can take a lot but they do have their limits. You seem to finding them quite often.
I honestly don't know how much they can handle. Im only a hair under 500hp at the crank naturally aspirated.
I've been easy on it since this new setup was dropped in. The fastest I've ran was 12.77 in a 1/4 on street tires.
Hopefully if I turn it down a little bit more,it'll save the rear end . Since running it,I haven't had anyone barking up my tree. Lol
I think many have found out that if I go hard on it,I can easily hit mid to high 11s on slicks and dope.

Quote: When you show yourself to the world and display your talents, you naturally stir all kinds of resentment, envy, and other manifestations of insecurity... you cannot spend your life worrying about the petty feelings of others
Robert Greene
Old 04-13-2015, 02:26 PM
Hot Rodder

OUCH!!!

__/__/MyChevy is SoSuper!!!__/__/
Old 04-13-2015, 02:54 PM
Regional Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpin1ohmSS View Post
OUCH!!!
Exactly what I said when I pulled the cover. I knew it wasn't good news but it wasn't bad either since 7.5 rear ends are a dime a dozen.

Robert Greene
Old 04-15-2015, 03:36 PM
Hot Rodder

if I lived on the mainland US I'd get a bolt-in 9 with out a second thought unless you're getting all these 7.5s for free
Old 04-16-2015, 03:28 AM
Regional Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuWaGone View Post
if I lived on the mainland US I'd get a bolt-in 9 with out a second thought unless you're getting all these 7.5s for free
The last one I scored for $50. This next one has some goodies in it but I'm waiting til Saturday to go take a look at since I dont want to hop on anything too soon.

Robert Greene
Old 04-18-2015, 10:18 PM
Regional Director

I hit up my buddy who's a manager at one of the local yards and he put me on to an El Camino that wasn't even listed on their site.
He wanted me to check it out since he plucked some parts off of it for his El Camino he's been building.
To my surprise it was a conquista with a floor shifter, dual exhaust(glass packs) and most of everything was still there.
I didn't need anything but a rear end and small trinkets but I scored the whole rear end and goodies for close to nothing!

Robert Greene
Old 04-18-2015, 10:18 PM
Regional Director

I hit up my buddy who's a manager at one of the local yards and he put me on to an El Camino that wasn't even listed on their site.
He wanted me to check it out since he plucked some parts off of it for his El Camino he's been building.
To my surprise it was a conquista with a floor shifter, dual exhaust(glass packs) and most of everything was still there.
I didn't need anything but a rear end and small trinkets but I scored the whole rear end and goodies for close to nothing!

Robert Greene
Old 05-17-2015, 10:50 PM
Regional Director

Had to save up a few coins but its in with some goodies!

Robert Greene
Old 05-18-2015, 06:41 AM
Professional Shadetree

Would it not be better to simply save this money you are putting into 7.5s and go get a GN/TT 8.5 or even a 9". I found a few 9" built for a G body here (Texas) for between 2k-4k. turn key. Would this not solve your torque to yeild and down time issues at once? Just seems like you are nickle and diming yourself do death, but to what end? This is just my two pennies on it. I do like that Trick Flow diff cover looks killer.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:16 PM
Regional Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilboo View Post
Would it not be better to simply save this money you are putting into 7.5s and go get a GN/TT 8.5 or even a 9". I found a few 9" built for a G body here (Texas) for between 2k-4k. turn key. Would this not solve your torque to yeild and down time issues at once? Just seems like you are nickle and diming yourself do death, but to what end? This is just my two pennies on it. I do like that Trick Flow diff cover looks killer.
I have a Ford 9 but it needs to be fabbed for a G body. This WAS a stock 7.5. Not so much now.

Robert Greene
Old 05-19-2015, 05:01 AM
Professional Shadetree

AHH, Right on. Yea I hear the stokers don't like much power. Well, have fun!
Old 05-25-2015, 05:20 AM
I'd rather be blown

Rofl... I hope you know that cover don't make it bullet proof. As for spraying that 7.5 inch.. I hope you have full coverage insurance on that pile of rust..look close at lower left trailing arm..it is bent..you best hope I don't see it next time I go to Dallas ill race ya in my turbo buick...

Last edited by blown81; 05-25-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:10 PM
Regional Director

Well WOODY,seems you always have to troll and follow me online like a nagging mosquito.
There's more than just a cover for the rear end.
Like I said above,nothing is stock about the internals of the rear end. I never said a cover made it bulletproof anyways.
The Steel Beast is a project and will continue to be since no ride is ever finished until it's totaled out.
It was built for me to enjoy and share with others who love classics,so I could care less about your negative opinions because at the end of the day,It doesn't pay my bills or support me.
If you're really up for old school racing,put your title on the line!
I need a junk Turbo Buick to part out anyways!
I pray you come to Dallas and run your Turbo Buick at the track. Hopefully you'll have a ride back home.
Have a good day. I'll get back to washing the rain off the Fat Cat 707HP Charger.
Have a good day!

Robert Greene