PDA

View Full Version : olds 455 swap?

Speedracer59
07-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Hi all. I'm new here please bear with me. I found this place while looking at the pumkinator. I followed it as it was built.
I just bought a 79 cutlass cruiser wagon and a little rougher than I would like but it is not rusted as what I have seen.
Well i have a olds 455 complete rebuilt in the corner just waiting to find a home. Has anybody done this ? have a turbo 400 i got for free but would like to go with a overdrive later.
Would like to keep the air in it but I know it will take some mods to do.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

oldtinsmith
07-14-2014, 06:26 AM
Welcome to the site! I'd talk to Ben (Pumpkinator). He's a really nice guy (loves Olds wagons!). Good luck with your build!

Doug:olcoot:

Speedracer59
07-15-2014, 03:06 AM
I'll look him up, Thanks

badazztexan
07-21-2014, 05:03 PM
I will be looking into this as well. I have a idea to wake up this dog of a car, it is pretty but it is slow. Not much longer tho:devil:

Speedracer59
07-30-2014, 08:15 PM
If you find anything let me know and i'll do the same.Good luck

oldtinsmith
07-30-2014, 09:05 PM
Ben: SRD art, streetroddesigns.com, speedtechperformance.com (he's the Creative Director). ... He's really a cool guy and loves to talk cars!

Doug:olcoot:

SRD art
07-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Hey Speed- sounds like a great project. I take you watching my build as a compliment, thanks. The dust from a move from Georgia to southern Utah, the new job with Speedtech, and a new baby girl is finally starting to settle so I'm getting back to it. It's always evolving so we'll see some cool upgrades over the next couple months.

The 455 will give you mondo torque which will be fun in a G body wagon. If I'm not mistaken the 350 Diesel option for G Bodies was based on the Olds 350 gas block. If I'm also not mistaken, the 455 and 350 Olds have the same outer physical dimensions, just like a 283, 305, 307, 327, 350, 400 Chevy. I might be thinking of the Buick 350 and 455, so you will need to verify that. If that is the case you can search around for the Diesel engine/ frame stands and mounts (?). That would also mean that the 455 should fit fine with factory A/C.

I further understand that all the Buick Olds Pontiac (BOP) transmissions have a different bell housing bolt pattern than the Chevy engines, so you'll need to find a trans specific to them. They're easy to identify, they have a couple extra bolt ears on the top. They also bolt to a Chevy, my son's 78 Cutlass wagon came factory stock with a BOP TH350 attached to a 350 Chevy, a really weird combination. Unfortunately the BOP engines won't bolt directly to a Chevy bell housing.

All of my experience is with SBCs so other than that I don't have a lot of insight into the 455 swap. I'm sure a little digging you'll find someone that has done it.

If you want to talk suspensions and other stuff I'm all ears. Feel free to contact me anytime. :)

melloelky
08-02-2014, 06:30 AM
If you want to talk suspensions and other stuff I'm all ears. Feel free to contact me anytime. :)
does this invite apply to all of us?:D