PDA

View Full Version : before i buy a new headlite switch?

beachbumtroy
01-19-2013, 11:08 AM
hey guys i didnt see an electrical forum? so anyway i have headlites both dim and brights and when i pull the switch all the way out i have dash lights,but halfway the parking lite position i got no parking lights and no dash lites? the dash lites work pulled all the way out but still no parking lites in ethier.....now im no electrician but i did check all the bulbs and a test light to each socket when switch was pulled 1/2 way and nothing? could it be anything other than the headlite switch? thnx in advance to your daily help :D

beachbumtroy
01-20-2013, 10:03 AM
ok just to update i bought a new headlite switch only 11.99 autozone and put it in still no parking lights in ethier position 1/2 way out or all the way out,and no power to parking lites in ethier also? checked all the bulbs and fuses and put in new switch no help.....any ideas? thnx guys

Poltergeist
01-20-2013, 12:21 PM
What is the year and make of the G-Body?

beachbumtroy
01-20-2013, 12:57 PM
its a 1978 el camino 350 automatic

Poltergeist
01-20-2013, 02:37 PM
This drawing is for 79 and earlier

79 electrical (http://www.gbodycentral.com/forums/elec-chev/79-typical-exterior-lighting-large.png)

I would check that you have power to the fuse block for the tail light fuse, then check power at the orange wire going into the light switch. Post up what you find.

beachbumtroy
01-20-2013, 03:05 PM
ok i`ll check em both in the morning and let u know thnx

monte ss496
01-21-2013, 01:07 AM
i was going to say a fuse maybe?

beachbumtroy
01-21-2013, 05:53 AM
ok guys checked it this morning and i have power to the tailite fuse,and i have power to the orange wire no matter what position the headlite switch is in and just to be clear i have already checked all the fuses and bulbs? thnx:dontknow:

Poltergeist
01-21-2013, 10:11 AM
ok guys checked it this morning and i have power to the tailite fuse,and i have power to the orange wire no matter what position the headlite switch is in and just to be clear i have already checked all the fuses and bulbs? thnx:dontknow:

That's good you should have power at the orange all the time.

If you look at the above drawing I can only think to check the brown wire leaving the switch with the switch in park or headlight position (should be the only time it has power). If you have power then you need to trace the brown wire toward the lights. Somewhere under the dash the brown wire splits off to all the park lights, the problem would have to be before that spot since none of them are working.

Poltergeist
01-31-2013, 05:12 AM
Any luck yet?

beachbumtroy
01-31-2013, 06:36 AM
not really i checked everything i could without pullin the dash,im about to replace the brakelite sockets and replace the grounds on the rear tail lights,when im finished with that i`ll see what worx and what still doesnt and let u know...ive kinda took a break on that finished installing all of my interior except for seats so i can get the doors put back on then the seats,then ill go back to the lights.let u know thnx troy