GBodyCentral.com  
Old 06-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Gear Head

Default Update

Seems like you never stop upgrading and tinkering.

I now have a 4l80e behind my 454 mild build and it makes a world of difference to the big revving TH400 on a 3.73 rear gear. I can run with the highway traffic without putting a load on the valve train.

I just scored a Lincoln Mark Viii fan off ebay for $38.00 plus shipping to avoid the clutch fan which seems to have real difficulty cooling the big block at stop lights in this perpetual summer heat in this part of the world.

I'm doing the volvo relay controller on my four core copper radiator built by a local shop.

I tried the Champion three core and it did not work for me. I kinda realise that the problem with the rad was my fault when I had a 16lb cap that may have been faulty and it blew a hole in the rad.

Local shop says they can repair it but I do no think aluminum rads are good for repair.

Looking forward to the Mark Viii fan conversion and hoping that all my heat problems disappear.

Car is a load of fun.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Just a ghost in the machine

I can imagine how much the extra gear in the 4L80E is helping you on the freeway.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Gear Head

Well I finally ran the Mark Viii fan today on just jerry rig wiring.

I read that it would not fit on a big block in an intermediate chassis and that is quite true without modification. I had to move the radiator forward about three inches. I used a BFH and installed the fan upside down to clear the water pump pulley. It is now properly installed.

Back to today--I ran the engine and the fan tripped on at 180 degree and brought the temp back down to 160 in about 90 seconds and on the low speed too. This is a really excellent fan and I look forward to running it on the road after I tidy up the wiring to see how it works.

here is a pic of the fan installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ABCD0011.jpg (90.3 KB, 6 views)