GBodyCentral.com  
Old 06-29-2016, 06:11 AM
Professional Shadetree

Here you can see where my hood spring had slipped and scratched the top of the radiator. If you have an after market upper radiator support plate, these will not happen. That and make sure the spring is seated correctly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rad final 2.jpg (101.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by mylilboo; 06-29-2016 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:12 AM
Professional Shadetree

Here you can see the RnD shroud and the Canton overflow/expansion tank. I opted for the RnD tank with my rad and shroud and was very very pleased with the over all look and how well it was built. But, it is round and as you all know, the mounting locations are very limited if not impossible without several feet of hose and line (I didn't know this going into the purchase of this system) so I bought the Canton direct fit unit. It was 150 shipped and looks pretty like the rad does! The only real reservation I have with any of the this unit is the fan shroud and fan controller (I've already addressed with Sparky). Now that I have had it on the car a while and the car is now my daily driver, the car overheats. Sitting in traffic and putting around town PERFECT! As soon as, I hit the a long stretch at higher speeds or the highway, BOOM! 220-230 and rises. The only thing I can think is the issue would be the flat shroud is so close and has no radii or flow through flaps in the corners and the edges. The 16" fan moves tons of air, but the fan controller is finicky and no real way to tell what the temp setting is as it does not have any marks or any indicator to setting at the dial. I still can't get it dialed in so I have had to utilize the a/c switch option on a toggle so the fan will come on. People don't get me wrong, I am not at all unhappy with this radiator nor the optional equipment. RnD Fabrication does exceptional work and the craftsmanship is fantastic! A customer of mine used Champion on his 69 Roadrunner and is still pissed that mine is prettier! Don't get me wrong they're very expensive, but you get what you pay for!!

I used polished SS button head allen bolts to secure the shroud to the rad. I also removed the preinstalled hex head bolts that held the fan to the shroud plate. I installed polished SS button heads here and installed chromed bullet nuts. Adds a touch of kick ass to the system. Sorry it is so dirty but, I live on a dirt road and I hadn't planned on taking pictures today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rad final 4.jpg (95.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Rad final 5.jpg (88.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by mylilboo; 06-29-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:00 AM
Just a ghost in the machine

Nice!
Old 06-30-2016, 07:05 AM
Gear Head

While it is possible that the shroud is part of the issue, what we have found on most applications is that overheating at speed has more to do with either airflow not reaching the radiator (as in a blockage or air diverting around the radiator) or timing / tuning. If the total timing (vac advance timing plus base timing) is too high, it will run lean at higher speeds and cause the temp to rise. But with that said, you can do a little test. You can remove the fan & shroud from the radiator (I would do this on the side of the road near a highway). Immediately get on the highway and go up to speed and maintain the speed for a little while, checking the temperature. If the temperature still goes past 210*, then the issue is with timing / tuning. If it stays 210* or below, then the shroud is the restriction. As soon as you confirm, pull over and reinstall the shroud for street driving so you don't overhead on slower roads. Let me know what you find.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:15 AM
Professional Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnDFabrication View Post
While it is possible that the shroud is part of the issue, what we have found on most applications is that overheating at speed has more to do with either airflow not reaching the radiator (as in a blockage or air diverting around the radiator) or timing / tuning. If the total timing (vac advance timing plus base timing) is too high, it will run lean at higher speeds and cause the temp to rise. But with that said, you can do a little test. You can remove the fan & shroud from the radiator (I would do this on the side of the road near a highway). Immediately get on the highway and go up to speed and maintain the speed for a little while, checking the temperature. If the temperature still goes past 210*, then the issue is with timing / tuning. If it stays 210* or below, then the shroud is the restriction. As soon as you confirm, pull over and reinstall the shroud for street driving so you don't overhead on slower roads. Let me know what you find.

OK, I'll check my timing again just to have a triple check on it. I have it set to 12 initial with 32-33 total using my HEI distributor. I have a full MSD ignition set I have yet to install. So if I am having distributor issues then this should correct that.

I will try the fan shroud thing in the next few days and post the results.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:03 PM
Gear Head

bringing back up again

Tags
cooling, radiator, rnd, rnd fabrication