GBodyCentral.com  
Old 08-19-2016, 07:42 AM
Regional Director

Talking Starting my interior restoration

As many know,I'm building a resto-mod/Pro-Touring El Camino.
I'm trying to keep the interior modern yet some what original so I'm building it to be comfortable on long hauls as I drive this truck for hours at a time which includes to other states.
The overall goal is to be comfortable,so the cheap hard vinyl Summit Racing Sport seats have to go!
I'm replacing them with Leather Pro-Car Elite Lumbar Seats!
I've researched these seats for a while and the overall satisfaction by others using their products have been extremely high which is why I chose this style and brand.
I'm still working on buying carpet, a dash pad,and more interior components before installing these seats,but I had to crack them open to smell the new leather. Lol

Quote: When you show yourself to the world and display your talents, you naturally stir all kinds of resentment, envy, and other manifestations of insecurity... you cannot spend your life worrying about the petty feelings of others
Robert Greene
Old 08-19-2016, 08:31 AM
Regional Director

A few years ago,I replaced the old 194 bulbs with LED's, but over time they just died out and I couldn't see much of anything at night.
A little research and I foind out about painting the gauge cluster white to bring out a brighter illumination at night.
Found some 20 SMD LEDs on eBay and started pulling the cluster.

Quote: When you show yourself to the world and display your talents, you naturally stir all kinds of resentment, envy, and other manifestations of insecurity... you cannot spend your life worrying about the petty feelings of others
Robert Greene
Old 08-20-2016, 09:10 AM
Hot Rodder

nice!painting that gauge light deflector like that will make a big difference too.can't wait to see it with those lights on
Old 08-20-2016, 04:32 PM
Regional Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloelky View Post
nice!painting that gauge light deflector like that will make a big difference too.can't wait to see it with those lights on
Thanks! I can't wait either. I'm currently looking for another gauge lens that's clear of scratches. It's hard to find one for a 78-81 sweep style speedometer.

Robert Greene
Old 08-20-2016, 07:55 PM
Hot Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980steelbeast View Post
Thanks! I can't wait either. I'm currently looking for another gauge lens that's clear of scratches. It's hard to find one for a 78-81 sweep style speedometer.
awesome,keep in mind the scratches in your lens can be sanded and polished out too.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:20 AM
Regional Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloelky View Post
awesome,keep in mind the scratches in your lens can be sanded and polished out too.
I'm currently working on that. May even buy a new one depending on how clear I can get the old one.

Robert Greene
Old 08-28-2016, 02:27 PM
Dirt Racing Co.

Amazed at the progress...
Old 03-29-2017, 12:37 PM
Regional Director

Been a minute since I posted,so here's what I've been up to!
Since the original dash had craters and large cracks from 37 years of sun,I decided it was time to take care of the eyesore I called a dash.
I went on a search for the best dash pad on the market and came across a company called Dash-Top.
After watching several installation video's of dash covers,I went with a Dash-Top cover since the price of a new dash is priced well over $1,000.
The Dash-Top cover is priced under $175 which is the major reason why this was the better option.
When it arrived,the amazing quality had me hooked!

Robert Greene

Last edited by 1980steelbeast; 03-29-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:01 PM
Regional Director

After several test fits,I began preparing the old dash by sanding down the large splitting cracks to where they were flush to the surrounding surfaces.
I then used Windex to clean the dash of all oils and dirt as its ammonia based and is a great cleaner.
I also cleaned the mounting surfaces of the Dash-Top to ensure it was also free of any oils and dirt from the molding process.

After that,I ran a thin bead of silicone around the edges of the new cover making sure to stay 1/4 away from the edge.
I then placed the cover on top of my dash and secured it with clamps, magazine stacks,and strips of cardboard wedged between the windshield and new dash cover.

After installing the cover,I put the improved stock cluster back together with new ultra blue SMD LED's.

Robert Greene
Old 03-29-2017, 01:19 PM
Regional Director

After having such a great success with the DashTop cover,it was time to move on to the flooring.
In a 37 year old vehicle,I expected rust so before I even started ripping the carpet up,I purchased several cans of rust converter, rubber undercoating, sealant,and black paint to make sure the floors were treated.
My girlfriend & I started the deep adventure by removing the old buckets seats,trim pieces,and other miscellaneous items scattered in the smugglers box.

Robert Greene
Old 03-29-2017, 01:25 PM
Regional Director

Once the carpet was out,ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE
3 of 4 floor pans were rusted! The worst was the passengers side front and rear pans.

Robert Greene

Last edited by 1980steelbeast; 03-29-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:38 PM
Regional Director

Although the rust looked bad,there was a lot of surface rust which made some of the floorboards salvageable!
The passengers rear floor pan was the worst although the pictures don't show. There was a patch panel placed over existing untreated rust back in 2010 which progressed the rust over the years.
I ended up using a wire wheel to take the floors and smugglers box down to bare metal to see exactly what I had to work with.
I also searched on eBay for a replacement floor pan for the passengers rear. Found one for $65,which wasn't bad at all!

Robert Greene
Old 03-29-2017, 01:40 PM
Hot Rodder

YESSIR!!!!!! Man I love seeing the ladies get out and turn wrenches with the fellas! NIIICE! MAN! Sorry about the rust. Light work for a champ like you tho! Tuned in, paper and note pad out and Im ready to learn how the pro does it. Keep the bad ass updates flowin brother!!

RocshopWarren

__/__/MyChevy is SoSuper!!!__/__/
Old 03-29-2017, 01:46 PM
Regional Director

Now,I'm down to cutting out the floorboard. I started gathering measurements of how far I can take the cut up along the edge of the floor pan. I had between 2 & 2/12 inches to work with,so I started there.

Trimmed down the replacement floor pan.

Robert Greene
Old 03-29-2017, 02:02 PM
Hot Rodder

Sweeet! My fiance's 79 Elco has the same rusted areas. This really helped me out on how to tackle it. Thanks for the detailed photos and game plan on how you fixed it!!

__/__/MyChevy is SoSuper!!!__/__/