GBodyCentral.com  
Old 01-21-2013, 01:01 AM

damn man i like it ! nice work so far! the detail you put into your projects is incredible! thanks for posting this on here!!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Hot Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte ss496 View Post
damn man i like it ! nice work so far! the detail you put into your projects is incredible! thanks for posting this on here!!

Thanks for the cool words bruh!! Tryin to clean her up a lil. She needs some serious love. This motivates me to push harder!!

I wanted to keep my ebrake... Here's what I started with. I had a chance to see a stock bracket from a donor 98-2002 Camaro, and did a quick google search to see if anyone else had come up with an idea for the e-brake lever. Found a nice pic and tried my hand at making it...

Making the template..

Template looks decent..I just flipped it backwards to make up the op side bracket(mirror image)

Mock up to get and idea of how it works and looks...

Drilled the holes out and mocked it up on the backing plate. Ive figured out a cleaner way to do it. bare with me as this is my first attempt at doing this kind of stuff..

After I cut the "half moon" out I sand blasted the bracket and then started trimming awaysections not needed to "clean it up" some..You can see that I trimmed away some material so the bracket clears the rubber boot on the backing plate's ebrake lever area..

I measured the stock G body clip and (9/16") and eye balled the center of the bottom section where the clip will run thru. I marked it and used a 9/16" drill bit to make the hole. Well I stepped the bit sizes up and stopped at 9/16".Took the homegrown "brackets" to the garage shop and mocked em up..

At this point Im pretty happy with the setup and how its coming along. I'm thinking to myself that even if this doesn't workout, I'm learning how to figure out stuff(problem solving) and learning how to use different tools. As my boy at work says "Now you hot rod'n son!!!" LOL

The thickness of the angle iron was a lil too thick for the stock ebrake cable clip to push all the way thru the 9/16" hole on my new bracket. I couldnt get the prong clip to seat into place. This is where things got really fun. I figured out how to use a caliper to measure the thickness of the angle iron. I then came up with an amount I wanted to "shave/mill" off around the front of the 9/16" hole in the bracket. I figured I could let the ring around the clip (just before the prongs) sit down inside the milled out area. This would allow the prongs to get the needed clearance to sit inside the bracket correctly as it did on the stock GM drum backing plate. I also measured the small amount in between the prongs and clip ring.. Then I milled it out. Measure twice and mill once!!!

Not the best, but for my first time doin stuff like this it will work. Ive already figured out a much better way to get it going the next time I get a chance to work in the machine shop..

I sprayed em up black (I'll powder coat em later) just to get a "feel" for how they will look. You can see in the pics above that I rounded the sharp edges off trying to "clean" it up a bit.. I just used a grinding wheel, belt sander and then wire wheel..

Top view. I also used longer 3/8" grade 8 bolts (fine thread), washer, lock washer and a nut with nyloc. The finer thread will give it more bite and the nyloc nut will prevent the nut from backing out due to vibration. A lil loc-tite will be added on the final setup...

You can see the hole I cut/milled out is in line with the e brake lever on the backing plate.

Thanks for looking! I'll be working on my new to me wheel wells today when i wake up. Sorry for the loooooong post fellas..

__/__/MyChevy is SoSuper!!!__/__/

Last edited by Bumpin1ohmSS; 01-28-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Just a ghost in the machine

Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Hot Rodder

Know thats the busniess!!! u right on top of it...keep pushing brah...ur doing a fantastic job
Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Hot Rodder

I would like info on how and what you used on the inner wheel wells,, they turned out killer!!!!! Keep the updates coming!! Fantastic work!!!! Matty man
Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

My Garage
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 AM

Those wheel wells are like glass ! Nice work!
Old 02-03-2013, 04:11 AM
Hot Rodder

My new UMI rear drag bar came in. I ordered it back on Nov 24,2012. It was a pre order deal and I knew it would be a lil wait. . Few pics...

rear drag bar, hardware and front bar-UMI

The project is coming together. Pushing to get her on the road by summer. Thanks for checkin her out. I'll update as I get stuff done on her. The car is in Arizona, and I go out there once a month..

Elco Warren

Old 02-03-2013, 05:54 AM
Hot Rodder

PLEASE!!! Keep us posted with your "E"-brake cable install! I'll be doing the same thing with my El camino.

Doug
Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Just a ghost in the machine

I might be interested in a set if you're willing to make more.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Major Motorhead

Nice work . Keep the pic's coming.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Hot Rodder

Great work, Warren.
You really take attention to detail. I know I've probably said that once before...
but it is what it is.

Keep up the good work. I've enjoyed this thread.

Jack
Old 02-04-2013, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Those are really nice I might want a set too

My Garage
Old 02-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Hot Rodder

Really Appreciate that fellas!! Did a little work on the wells. Decided to try somethin new. I had some fiberglass filler (bondo) a friend gave me and decided to fill in the factory indent on the wells-right when the well begins to curve. Worked out pretty sweet and I learned how to use a new product. It feathers out nicely like regular bondo filler...

Rustolium "Filler Primer" stage. I use 2 cans on each well in different colors. That way if I start sanding too much primer out. the color below will show..

Waiting for this first can of primer to fully dry. Then I'll sand with 400 grit dry and shoot the next can and wait for that to dry.. Waiting game begins....

The wheel Im running is a 22x9 (front) and 22x10.5 (rear). The car will be dropped 2". I dont do lifts! Not my style. I come from the VW, BMW and Audi world-DTM style... I like my ride low, tires stretched and wheels tucked. The tires will be 245-30-22 (f) and 275/25/22 (r) for a nice lil stretch..

]

]

This malibu is the complete inspiration for my build. The owner (James Crow) captured EXACTLY what I wanted to do with mine...When I get a lil lazy, I bring this photo up and get it crackin on Tha #dtoxbu...

Thanks for checkin back!!!

Elco Warren..
80z!! We comin....

Old 02-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Hot Rodder

Warren,
I have a quick question for you, if you don't mind. What do you use to fill holes in the wheel wells?
I don't know how durable body filler would be in that application.
Man, you do a smokin' job on those wells. Nice goodies, too.

Thanks!
Jack

Tags
80zbabiezcc, elco warren