GBodyCentral.com  
Old 03-14-2016, 05:29 AM
Professional Shadetree

Alright so I've got the Malibu on the road but I still have a few kinks to work out. To me, good news is she runs like a scalded assed ape!! She got sideways on a 20 punch!! Way surprised. The fuel gauge is not working, it's showing to be shorted to ground on the sender wire. Two of my gauge lights are dead, I am thinking bulbs since they were dead before the rewire. So all in all, it was a good couple weeks. So now all I need to do is run a new sender wire and change a few bulbs.... presto! I'm off to ruin a set of tires and some asphalt! Pictures of progress soon.

Side note: What do you guys think about me just redoing the whole harness of the car? I can get the entire harness from American autowire (the listing shows elcomino) for just over 300 bucks? Shouldn't take more than a few days to swap out with soldered and heat shrink connections. What are your opinions?
Old 03-14-2016, 05:46 AM
Hot Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilboo View Post
Alright so I've got the Malibu on the road but I still have a few kinks to work out. To me, good news is she runs like a scalded assed ape!! She got sideways on a 20 punch!! Way surprised. The fuel gauge is not working, it's showing to be shorted to ground on the sender wire. Two of my gauge lights are dead, I am thinking bulbs since they were dead before the rewire. So all in all, it was a good couple weeks. So now all I need to do is run a new sender wire and change a few bulbs.... presto! I'm off to ruin a set of tires and some asphalt! Pictures of progress soon.

Side note: What do you guys think about me just redoing the whole harness of the car? I can get the entire harness from American autowire (the listing shows elcomino) for just over 300 bucks? Shouldn't take more than a few days to swap out with soldered and heat shrink connections. What are your opinions?
I say do it.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2016, 09:21 AM
Just a ghost in the machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking78 View Post
I say do it.
X2 depending on the shape of your current harness. If the wires are brittle etc it can save you headaches later on.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:32 PM
Hot Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltergeist View Post
X2 depending on the shape of your current harness. If the wires are brittle etc it can save you headaches later on.
i wired my car a few summers ago, it was super tedious but after putting all the work into the car i couldn't see putting a 30+ year old harness back in it.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:16 AM
Professional Shadetree

Yeah I agree with replacing it when the insulation is cracked or if the gremlins are present. Truthfully, the only real issue is the fuel gauge (sender wire shorted to ground). I've found a direct replacement (elcomino) from american auto wire? I mean I guess that will work. The only real reservation is the fact I have now rewired the gauges twice now and that would put me at three times..... LOL.

I don't want to change it just to change it at this point. The car went down with in the first few weeks of owning it and has been down now for almost two years. I really just want to drive the piss out of it for a while!
Old 08-01-2016, 07:09 AM
Professional Shadetree

OK, I've been driving this car for a while now (daily) and it is great! Except the cooling fan is either too small or the shroud is too flat. It would get hot driving down the freeway and not at lights. I put my old plastic shroud and mechanical fan back on and all those issue are now gone!!!! 250 bucks for a cooling kit was pricey but if it worked I could have tolerated it! But now that the fan and shroud are sitting in the floor as an ornament....I'm pissed. I still love the car though.

I also just started a new job at a real custom car builder!! I'm VERY excited and can't wait to et some years under my belt.. Anyway just wanted to update my build. I'll see y'all later after the full MSD ignition gets dropped in!
Old 08-01-2016, 09:15 AM

Funny I would have expected it to stay cool on the freeway and heat up at lights. Not the other way around.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:41 PM
Hot Rodder

Glad to hear you're excited about the new job good luck with it.let us,know how it goes.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:39 AM
Professional Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltergeist View Post
Funny I would have expected it to stay cool on the freeway and heat up at lights. Not the other way around.
ME TOO! That's why it took me several rounds of "WTF else could it be" moments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloelky View Post
Glad to hear you're excited about the new job good luck with it.let us,know how it goes.

Thanks man really appreciate it and I will
Old 02-08-2018, 05:49 AM
Professional Shadetree

Ok here's the deal... the new job I took was great....Then it sucked, I quit went to sell Snapon for my Snap on guy. Then my shop called me back for a promotion and a raise. So I'm back at the hotrod shop as General manager.

Here's the problem. I got screwed out of my beloved Malibu. Yup, I no longer own it. I had a deal to swap it for a ton of stuff in trade including a gas saver daily and cash. I got the car and some stuff, promises that rest would come then he sold my malibu out from under me. Sad thing is, I had cash to reverse the deal and just buy it back out right. He sold it for a rusted out ****box 72 Chevy longed and 1500 bucks. I cried, literally cried when I found out. The deal was always I get first shot and the call never came. I had just seen the guy the day before telling him I had the cash, but he wanted to wait til the following weekend. Some friend huh?

If you've seen it posted somewhere by the new owner, PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW
Old 02-08-2018, 09:06 AM
Hot Rodder

mylilboo,,, happy for you with the return to the HotRod shop!. .... Build your next car good looking, better, and, faster. Keep looking forward my friend.

Doug
Old 02-08-2018, 10:40 AM

Wow that sucks. Hope you can find it or a good candidate for another build.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:11 PM
Hot Rodder

man! I'm sorry to hear that brother.
@the same time i want to commend you on stepping up and taking a chance with a different line of work to make a better life for you and your family.hopefully you can take everything you've learned form working on your hot rod and apply it to another ride in the future.I know it's no consolation but cars will come and go but the memories you made working on it with your son will stay with him always and that's what life's all about.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:47 PM
Professional Shadetree

Thanks for the encouraging comments guys. I found it very difficult to even log on this site this morning. I no doubt will build another one, I just don't know what yet. I was at one time thinking about an other g body. But then I also thought about my first love, the F body. I currently own a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 short wide with a v6 that is well built cosmetically speaking, but it is still just a 4.3. Been looking into an LSx something or other. But I don't want to mess with emissions or ecms.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:49 PM
Professional Shadetree

I posted pics, not sure if they loaded yet. I'll log on with pc in a little bit to confirm.